By John Zerzan
“Read it and you'll by no means examine civilization within the similar approach again.”—Kirkpatrick Sale
This anthology approximately "the pathology of civilization" deals perception into how development and expertise have resulted in vacancy and alienation.
"A provocative anthologypresenting the likes of Freud, Friedrich Schiller, William Morris, and the Unabomber, besides vibrant modern thinkersthat increases the query of even if our elaborately based, technology-driven society creates extra difficulties than it alleviates." -- Jay Walljasper; Utne Reader, March/April 1999
Read or Download Against Civilization: Readings and Reflections PDF
Similar nonfiction books
Comprises a few of the key parts of Gramsci's writings, together with 'The glossy Prince' and 'Americanism and Fordism' and remark at the nation, Italian heritage and the function of intellectuals.
This can be Pauline Kael's eleventh and ultimate number of the movie experiences she wrote for the recent Yorker, overlaying the interval October 1988 to February 1991. In March 1991 the journal quietly introduced her retirement, as a result of volume that the Parkinson's illness she suffered from had incapacitated her.
Profitable at aggressive video games calls for a results-oriented mind-set that many gamers are easily no longer prepared to undertake. This publication walks gamers throughout the whole approach: the way to decide on a video game and study simple talent, how one can holiday throughout the psychological obstacles that carry so much avid gamers again, and the way to deal with the problems that high avid gamers face.
Greater than eighty kinds and 340 beer profiles are observed by means of full-color pictures and illustrations of the beers and beer labels. This unconventional process permits drinkers of all event degrees to step correct as much as the bar and order their subsequent pint with confidence.
Both a private advisor and better half to the interesting international of yankee craft beer, this exact ebook touches upon a number of topic components, together with not just beer, yet nutrients, commute, historical past, and the tales and personalities of these who brew America’s top beers. It comprises 25 ideal pairing recipes and profiles of a few of the simplest brewpubs within the kingdom.
- The Disaster Diaries: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Apocalypse
- Hiking Ruins Seldom Seen: A Guide to 36 Sites Across the Southwest
- The Seven Sins of Memory: How the Mind Forgets and Remembers
- 250 Essential Japanese Kanji Characters, Volume 1
- Making Marriage Simple: Ten Truths for Changing the Relationship You Have into the One You Want
Additional info for Against Civilization: Readings and Reflections
It goes back to the time Adam Smith was writing, and maybe to a time before anyone was writing. But anthropology, especially evolutionary anthropology, found it congenial, even necessary theoretically, to adopt the same tone of reproach. Archeologists and ethnologists had become Neolithic revolutionaries, and in their enthusiasm for the revolution found serious shortcomings in the Old (Stone Age) Regime. Scholars extolled a Neolithic Great Leap Forward. , domestication. ) But evolutionary theory is not entirely to blame.
137) makes this very clear for the Murngin— portability is a main value in the economic scheme of things. A similar case of affluence without abundance can be made for the subsistence sector. McCarthy and McArthur’s time-motion study in Arnhem Land (1960) indicates the food quest is episodic -36- MARSHALL SAHLINS: “THE ORIGINAL AFFLUENT SOCIETY” and discontinuous, and per capita commitment to it averages less than four hours a day. The amount of daytime sleep and rest is unconscionable: clearly, the aborigines fail to “build culture” not from lack of time but from idle hands.
After several days searching Bantu agricultural villages looking for the largest and fattest ox in the region, he acquired what appeared to be a perfect specimen. But his friends took him aside and assured him that he had been duped into buying an absolutely worthless animal. ” But when Lee’s ox was slaughtered, it turned out to be covered with a thick layer of fat. Later, his friends explained why they had said his gift was valueless, even though they knew better than he what lay under the animal’s skin: -47- SECTION I.