By Bernd Thaller
Visual Quantum Mechanics is a scientific attempt to enquire and to coach quantum mechanics because of computer-generated animations. even though it is self-contained, this booklet is a part of a two-volume set on visible Quantum Mechanics. the 1st publication seemed in 2000, and earned the ecu educational software program Award in 2001 for oustanding innovation in its box. whereas subject matters in ebook One frequently involved quantum mechanics in a single- and two-dimensions, e-book units out to give third-dimensional structures, the hydrogen atom, debris with spin, and relativistic particles. It additionally encompasses a easy path on quantum info thought, introducing subject matters like quantum teleportation, the EPR paradox, and quantum desktops. jointly the 2 volumes represent an entire path in quantum mechanics that locations an emphasis on rules and ideas, with a good to average volume of mathematical rigor. The reader is anticipated to be conversant in calculus and simple linear algebra. to any extent further mathematical options should be illustrated within the textual content.
Th CD-ROM contains a huge variety of Quick-Time videos offered in a multimedia-like surroundings. the flicks illustrate and upload colour to the text, and permit the reader to view time-dependent examples with a degree of interactivity. The point-and-click interface is not any tougher than utilizing the net.
Read Online or Download Advanced visual quantum mechanics PDF
Best quantum physics books
Euan Squires brings the easiest promoting ^IMystery of the Quantum international brand new with the inclusion of a brand new bankruptcy which introduces the reader to crucial of the new advancements in quantum conception. His authoritative choice of subject matters guarantees that readers expand their wisdom of quantum conception, and that these readers with out earlier wisdom gather an perception into this interesting international.
- Testing Quantum Mechanics on New Ground
- An Interpretation of Diracs Theory of the Electron
- Quantum Bio-Informatics I
- Solutions to Sakurai's Probls. in Quantum Mechanics
- Remarks on the Quantum Theory of Diffraction
- Quantum Superposition: Counterintuitive Consequences of Coherence, Entanglement, and Interference (Frontiers Collection)
Additional resources for Advanced visual quantum mechanics
190) is in the domain of the self-adjoint operator H. The mathematical theory tells us that these functions have to be bounded and continuous on R3 , at least for physically meaningful (that is, not too singular) potential functions V . Therefore, (1/r) f ;nr (r) has to remain bounded, as r → 0. 188). It is distinguished by the boundary condition u(r) → 0, as r → 0. The solution u(E, r) turns out to be square-integrable only for exceptional values of the parameter E, that is, for the eigenvalues E = E ;nr .
The number nr is called the radial quantum number. It just serves as a label for the diﬀerent eigenvalues of the radial equation. We denote the radial eigenfunction belonging to the eigenvalue E ;nr by f ;nr (r). 10. 190) where (r, ϑ, ϕ) are the spherical coordinates of x, and m is any of the eigenvalues of L3 . The functions ψ ,m;nr are simultaneous eigenstates of H, L2 , and L3 , belonging to the eigenvalues E ;nr , ( + 1), and m, respectively. For every possible energy E ;nr and every possible we have 2 + 1 linearly independent eigenfunctions ψ ,m;nr , with m = − , − + 1, .
12 compares the quantum and classical probability densities as functions of ϑ. 8 depict the relations between the classically allowed region of the rigid rotator, the classical ϑ-oscillation, and the quantum probability density as a function of ϑ. 2. Special topic: Curvilinear coordinates It is worthwhile to consider the transition from classical to quantum mechanics for the rigid rotator in more detail. The classical kinetic energy of a particle with mass m = 1 is given by T (t) = 1 2 3 x˙ i (t)2 .